Test: Powassan Virus IgG/IgM
Powassan Virus is a member of the same family of viruses as West Nile, Dengue Fever, Zika, and Hepatitis C. The symptoms of Powassan infection are very similar to those of Lyme disease. Serious infections can result in muscle weakness, headache, confusion, and even seizures; and 10% of serious neurologic infections are fatal. Long-term effects that mimic symptoms of post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome have been reported.
Sample InstructionsNote to Private Practice Physicians
Please contact Coppe Laboratories to request a sample collection kit ahead of the scheduled blood draw. The kit contains instructions, EDTA tube, test request form, and prepaid overnight postage.
1. Collect whole blood in EDTA tube labeled with patient name, date of birth, and date and time of draw. SAMPLES MUST BE DRAWN MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY and sent overnight. If submitting plasma, process to plasma, and place in sterile vial or cryotube labeled with patient name, date of birth, and date and time of draw. Serum should be placed in sterile vial or cryotube labeled as above.
2. Place tube into a biohazard bag with an absorbent pad and seal.
3. Complete the test request form by clicking on the green Hospital/Institution Ordering button located in the blue box. Scan and send to email@example.com to give Coppe Laboratories notification that the sample is being sent.
4. Place the form and the sample in another sealable bag or pouch, seal, and ship according to the listed shipping specifications.
5. Send the sample using an overnight delivery service. Coppe Laboratories accepts shipments MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY. Holiday closures will be posted on the home page of the Coppe website, www.coppelabs.com.New York Physicians: No approved waiver necessary. Coppe Laboratories holds a license with the NYSDOH (#PFI 9230) and is permitted to accept orders for the following tests: #3008 Powassan Virus IgG/IgM; #5000 West Nile Virus IgM; #2001 HHV 6 IHC; #20011 HHV 6 IHC (Endometrial)
Volume / Collection Type
N/AWB, 3.0 mL;
Plasma/Serum 1.0 mLWB, 1.0 mL;
Plasma/Serum 0.5 mLWB, Room temperature <48 hours; Plasma/Serum, Refrigerator, 6 days; frozen 1 yearWB, Room temperature; Plasma/Serum: If frozen, dry ice; if not previously frozen, ice packs
Specimen:N/AVolume / Collection Type:WB, 3.0 mL;
Plasma/Serum 1.0 mLMinimum:WB, 1.0 mL;
Plasma/Serum 0.5 mLStorage:WB, Room temperature <48 hours; Plasma/Serum, Refrigerator, 6 days; frozen 1 yearShipping:WB, Room temperature; Plasma/Serum: If frozen, dry ice; if not previously frozen, ice packs
Turn Around Time10 Business Days
The EIA measures IgG and IgM antibodies to members of the tick-borne encephalitis complex (TBE-C). Due to the homology between these viruses, antibodies that cross-react with the TBE virus substrate in the EIA kit are found in samples from patients exposed to any member of the complex to a varying degree. If the sample is positive using specific criteria set by Coppe Laboratories, confirmation is done by IFA. IFA is performed by incubating patient samples on slides with virus-infected cells and then staining with fluorescein-labeled anti-human antibodies. Positive staining is visualized with a fluorescent microscope.