Test: HHV-6 Chromosomal Integration (ci-HHV-6)
Hair follicles and nail clippings can be tested for presence of HHV-6A and HHV-6B DNA to determine chromosomal integration. HHV-6 DNA would only be detected in a hair follicle (or nail clipping) in the case of ciHHV-6.
1. For hair follicle collection, using a tweezers, get close to the scalp and pull 3-5 hairs ensuring that the root is attached. For nail collection, trim 5+ nails with the clipping close to the nail plate i.e., onychodermal band. Using a tweezers, immediately place specimens in sealable bag.
2. Label the sealed bag with first name, last name, date of birth, date and time of collection.
3. If this is a hospital/institution order, click on the green button located in the blue box to complete the Institutional Test Request Form. Private Practice Physicians, please click and complete this test request form. Scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org to give Coppe Laboratories notification that the sample is being sent.
4. Enclose the test request form along with the sealed, labeled bag containing the specimens in another sealed bag.
5. Ship at room temperature. You may wish to include Coppe Laboratories on shipping notifications for tracking purposes.
Volume / Collection Type
N/A3-5 hair with follicles (root attached). 5+ nail clippings2-3 hair follicles (root attached). 2-3 nail clippingsRoom TemperatureRoom Temperature
Specimen:N/AVolume / Collection Type:3-5 hair with follicles (root attached). 5+ nail clippingsMinimum:2-3 hair follicles (root attached). 2-3 nail clippingsStorage:Room TemperatureShipping:Room Temperature
Turn Around Time5 Business Days
Genomic DNA present in the sample is extracted using a commercial kit. Viral “gene of interest” specific primers and probes, deoxyribonucleotides, and a thermo-stable DNA polymerase are added to the PCR reaction.