Test: HHV-6A, HHV-6B PCR DNA Whole Blood
Herpesvirus DNA PCR on cellular samples is the gold standard for early detection of a primary infection, tracking the course of infection and monitoring response to treatment. However, HHV-6 DNA PCR will not differentiate HHV-6 reactivation from patients with ciHHV-6.
1. Collect whole blood, bone marrow, or cord blood in EDTA tube labeled with patient name, date of birth, and date and time of draw.
2. Place tube into a biohazard bag with an absorbent pad and seal.
3. Complete the test request form by clicking on the green Hospital/Institution Ordering button located in the blue box. Scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org to give Coppe Laboratories notification that the sample is being sent.
4. Place the form and the sample in another sealable bag or pouch, seal, and ship according to the listed shipping specifications.
5. Send the sample using an overnight delivery service. Coppe Laboratories accepts shipments MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY. Holiday closures will be posted on the home page of the Coppe website, www.coppelabs.com.
Volume / Collection Type
N/A3.0 mL1.0 mLRoom temperature <48 hoursRoom Temperature
Specimen:N/AVolume / Collection Type:3.0 mLMinimum:1.0 mLStorage:Room temperature <48 hoursShipping:Room Temperature
Turn Around Time5 business days
DNA present in the cellular sample is extracted using a commercial kit. To amplify the small amounts of relevant viral DNA present, viral “gene of interest” specific primers and probes, deoxyribonucleotides, and a thermo-stable DNA polymerase are added to the PCR reaction.